All About Hillcrest Baptist Church, Jasper, TX

Hillcrest Baptist Church met for worship as a mission of First Baptist Church, Jasper, in a skating rink. Construction on a building began in September of 1954 and was completed on December 5, 1954. the building consisted of an auditorium, five classrooms, and two restrooms. The cost was $22,000.00.  Sunday School average attendance for the year was 73. The people of this mission were organized as a Southern Baptist Church on March 4, 1956, with Sunday school enrollment of 134. Plans were made for construction of a second unit to be added to the existing building. Completion was in September of 1959 at a cost of $41,000.00. There were 82 additions to the membership. The value of the church property was $70,000.00. The pastorium was built in 1966. Average Sunday school attendance was 105 and total church membership was 242. In 1973, the church celebrated the paying off of church bonds, which had been sold to build the second unit. 

A new sanctuary was completed in 1984 at a cost of $188,000.00 and the parking lot was completed at a cost of $24,000.00. In 1987, the church received that award from Sabine Valley Association for the Fastest Growing Sunday School Average Attendance Gain. Church membership reached 617.

In December 1996 Bro. David Nugent was called to be Senior Pastor. Under his ministry, the church   re-located to Hwy 190 West in December of 1999, completing a new 1.8 million dollar facility.  Sunday school attendance has steadily climbed since the relocation to an average of just under 400. Church membership reached 1,256 in 2002. Also in 2002, a 7200sq. ft "Youth" addition to the Family Life Center was completed for just under $400,000.00.

Since Bro. David has been the Senior Pastor; the church has baptized more people than in the entire history of the church.  The Lord has truly blessed Hillcrest Baptist Church. The church has now grown to the point that it has four full-time staff member positions. Please click here to access our STAFF PAGE.  In January of 2006 the church hosted a Sunday Morning Service Note Burning for all of the building debt.  In 2010 Hillcrest acquired the adjoining property--which is now known as Hillcrest-East.